References to research can be found throughout this website. The following are samples of current research, helpful completed research and important articles. Find additional information on the Case Study page.
Current and Ongoing Research
- Antibiotic Treatment Trial for the PANDAS/PANS Phenotype
- Do Children with PANDAS Improve with IVIG?
- Possible Test for PANDAS-Looking at the Basal Ganglia Dr. Harry Chugani
- Dr. Madeleine Cunningham, Research Professor/Microbiologist/Immunologist at University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Researchers have developed a test that measure cross-reactive antibodies that are elevated in a PANDAS child’s brains. This test will be commercially available in 2013 by Moleculera Labs. Additional studies will begin in the future by the same researchers. Please check back for more information. To read more on Dr Cunningham, you can also visit the article “Friendly Fire”.
Completed Research and Important Articles Relevant to PANDAS and PANS
- Autoimmune encephalitis-History & current knowledge (2012) Posted with permission of Finn E. Somnier, M.D., D. Sc. (Med.). (A neurologist “must have”. PDF may load slow as it is 40 pages.) refer to pages 30+ for PANDAS
- Behavioral, Pharmacological, and Immunological Abnormalities after Streptococcal Exposure: A Novel Rat Model of Sydenham Chorea and Related Neuropsychiatric Disorders (2012)
- From Research Subgroup to Clinical Syndrome: Modifying the PANDAS Criteria to Describe PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome) (2012)
- Neurocognitive functioning in youth with pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcus (2011)
- “Immune and Endocrine Function in Child and Adolescent OCD” (Chapter from “Handbook of Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents” 2011)
- Clinical Factors Associated with PANDAS (pdf provided by the NIH)
- “TAU research links obsessive-compulsive disorder to common childhood illness“ (November 2010)- Article by Tel Aviv University: Strep can lead to brain dysfunction and OCD – research to be published in 2010/2011 by Prof. Daphne Joel and Dr. Madeleine Cunningham.
- Immunology of Tourettes, Pediatric Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcus and Associated Disorders: A Way Forward Journal of Child Psychopharmacology – Nov. 2010 – Drs. Tanya Murphy, Roger Kurlan and James Leckman. This is a LANDMARK PAPER – Complete Overview of PANDAS studies/history.
- Autoimmune Disease in Moms Boosts Likelihood of Tics, OCD in Kids (Clinical Psychiatry News 2011).
- Maternal history of autoimmune disease in children presenting with tics and/or obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Oral inflammatory process and general health. Part 1: The focal infection and the oral inflammatory lesion.
- Oral inflammatory process and general health. Part 2: How does the periapical inflammatory process compromise general health?
- Antibodies to Strep Throat Bacteria Linked to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in Mice:Columbia University Study (Aug 2009) Link to abstract: Passive transfer of streptococcus-induced antibodies reproduces behavioral disturbances in a mouse model of pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infection.
- Therapeutic plasma exchange and intravenous immunoglobulin for obsessive-compulsive disorder and tic disorders in childhood (1999)
(the list is more extensive than what is listed and will be completed as time allows)